Tuesday 23 February 2010

Lenten Resolution

Self-discipline is not one of my strongest abilities.

Too often I do what I want to do, rather than what I ought to do, or what I agreed I would do, or even what I decided to do. That's why I haven't managed to keep up with my plan of posting a Lenten Reflection every day of the 40 days of Lent.

It's a heart problem. Not with my biological heart, but with my spiritual heart. Me comes first too often - in fact, 'me' should never come first. Jesus should always come first.

But us humans are weak, sinful creatures. We can't even manage to live the way we want to live, far less managing to live the way God wants us to live.

The prophet Jeremiah told the people that one day God would write his ways of living onto our hearts, our spiritual hearts. By this Jeremiah meant that God would renew our spiritual hearts so that we would want to be the people he wants us to be. (Jeremiah 31:25-34)

More than that, God offers to become part of our lives by the Holy Spirit within us. (John 14:15-25)

Lent is a good time of year to let God write on your heart, and come into your life. Why not ask him to get started right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment